Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Paddleboats and Peter Pan


Sunday we had a group outing to the Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. Basically anyone can get up and say whatever they want to Brother Micah style. I'm not a big fan of these events, so Caleb and I went exploring in Hyde Park. We came across the Serpentine Lake and decided to rent a paddleboat for half an hour. It was a really pretty day, and we had a fun time. Afterward, we met up with Sarah and Jackson and hiked to the Peter Pan statue and back. These two cute little girls were climbing the statue, and it took a long time for us to get the picture.

We booked it back singing "We're Following the Leader" from Peter Pan. Caleb somehow walked ahead at double the speed of our group. We met up with the rest of the group and then took a canal ride to Camden Market. The canal ride was not very exciting or pretty. The market however, was really cool. They had a bunch of delicious food and cheap jewellery. I bought a necklace, and we wandered around the market for a few hours. The group met at Dietrich's house for a yummy catered meal. We sat out on the grass and Gretchen tricked Rachael B. with some magic tricks. The afternoon was beautiful, and everyone seemed to have a really good time.

After dinner, Caleb and I headed back to the flat to make sure he had all of his stuff ready to go. I saw him off at the coach station later that night. We had an amazing weekend!

Since I didn't take too many pictures today I'll go ahead and talk about it here. For our Media and Society outing, we went to SOHO and visited a Hare Krishna temple. Our professor also showed us a bunch of concert halls and jazz clubs. I think the content is very interesting, but I'm really struggling to make the connection between what we discuss in class and actual media.

On my way to my next class I was reading Atonement and walking with my head down. Suddenly, someone says, "Hey!" I looked up and it was my history professor from freshman year, Prof. Gubser! It was wild to see someone from home not associated with the trip in London. He was carrying his baby, and it was adorable.

In film class we ended up going to a cinema. Movie theaters have always made me feel at home and comfortable, so it was like a treat to go see a movie. The film we saw: The Killer Inside Me, was horrible, but our group enjoyed complaining about it afterward. I blogged about the movie in my film blog (http://racheldozier.blogspot.com/2010/06/killer-inside-me.html).

We then headed for another group outing to Parliament. It was so cool to see how they debate the different issues. Rachael B. and I imitated some of our favorite members of Parliament and marveled at the detailed structure of the building.

Now I must get ready for a full day of work tomorrow. Cheerio !


No comments:

Post a Comment