Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Look-Alikes and Movie Sets



Ok so today I had my British Media and Society class and my professor was a combination of my dad,
this really weird warlock named Rack from Buffy, and Prince Humperdink from The Princess Bride. He brought a wine glass into the room with a mysterious yellow liquid. I'm guessing it was Fanta and he was just messing with us...but he never acknowledged it so I have no idea. Things tend to be more casual in London. He was crazy and rambled about all of these slang sayings like: fanny means a certain female body part apparently. Then we scrambled to the British Museum and explored the history of language from oral communication to written tablets. The coolest part was when he talked about how the Greek's invented Hollywood. He said that Greek demigods could be compared to today's celebrities. They were this unattainable goal that everyone secretly worships just like celebrities. I found the comparison to be one of the most interesting concepts I'd heard in a while.

Overall he was really very intelligent, though slightly "out there," and I think the class is going to teach me a lot...just maybe not about the media.

Then after frantically running around Bedford Place to try to find my boyfriend Caleb a place to stay when he visits this weekend, I rushed to my Film Adaptations class. Basically we read a British novel or play and watch the film adaptation of it. Today we went on a movie tour of the financial district of London. (Pictured below: The purple door was filmed as the entrance of Diagon Alley in Harry Potter, the black door I'm standing in front of is the door to Bridget Jones' apartment and the blue door is the entrance to the Leaky Cauldron from Harry Potter!). Our tour guide was really cool and an actor. He's been the extra in Spiceworld, the Parent Trap, 102 Dalmatians, and more! It was a really neat area of town with some cool pubs and markets. Also, at the very bottom is the Contrast Photo of the Day. The egg-shaped building, known as the Gurken is a German insurance building that has caused a lot of controversy with those who don't like it. In the foreground is an ancient church.




No comments:

Post a Comment